लोकप्रिय विषय मौसम क्रिकेट ऑपरेशन सिंदूर क्रिकेट स्पोर्ट्स बॉलीवुड जॉब - एजुकेशन बिजनेस लाइफस्टाइल देश विदेश राशिफल आध्यात्मिक अन्य
---Advertisement---

U.S. Strikes Iranian Targets; Iran Says It Returned Fire

[wplt_featured_caption]

---Advertisement---

The United States and Iran traded missile fire and accusations on Thursday as tensions in the Strait of Hormuz ratcheted up, threatening an already fragile cease-fire.

U.S. Central Command said that American forces had “intercepted unprovoked Iranian attacks and responded with self-defense strikes” while U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyers were traversing the strait to the Gulf of Oman on Thursday.

In a statement, Central Command said Iranian forces launched multiple missiles, drones and small-boat attacks as three U.S. warships were transiting the strait. None of the American naval vessels were hit, Central Command said.

The U.S. vessels that were traversing the strait were the U.S.S. Truxtun, the U.S.S. Rafael Peralta and the U.S.S. Mason. The warships had steamed into the Persian Gulf earlier in the week as part of the Navy’s short-lived effort to guide merchant ships stranded in the Persian Gulf through the strait.

In response, U.S. forces struck targets on Qeshm Island and Bandar Abbas along the Iranian coast in the strait, U.S. officials said.

Central Command “eliminated inbound threats and targeted Iranian military facilities responsible for attacking U.S. forces, including missile and drone launch sites; command and control locations; and intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance nodes,” the command’s statement said. It added that Central Command “does not seek escalation but remains positioned and ready to protect American forces.”

Iran, for its part, accused the United States of launching “unprovoked” attacks as the ships traversed the strait.

The exchange is the latest twist in a head-spinning week in the region, as President Trump, searching for an off-ramp in the war that he started Feb. 28, has contradicted his senior administration officials on the state of the war, the state of American efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, and the status of peace talks with Iran.

Even as senior officials — including the president — described peace negotiations that they said were advancing, Central Command has forcefully hit Iranian vessels that it says have violated an American-imposed blockade of the strait.

In a statement carried by state media, Iran’s armed forces accused the U.S. military of violating the month-old cease-fire by carrying out airstrikes on Qeshm Island and two other cities on the country’s southern coast. Central Command said the ship attacks had emanated from those sites.

Mr. Trump confirmed in a social media post that the two countries had traded fire, saying that three “world class American destroyers,” had moved out of the strait ​“under fire​.”

He said that while the ships were not damaged, the ​“Iranian attackers” were.

When asked if the U.S. response to the Iranian drone, missile and small-boat attacks went beyond self-defense, a senior U.S. military official said that an effective defense sometimes involves a carefully calibrated offense.

Source link

Join WhatsApp

Join Now

Join Telegram

Join Now

Leave a Comment